A civil engineering degree prepares students for careers in many industries, such as aerospace/aircrafts, structural, geotechnical, transportation, water resources/environmental, and construction/management. Many civil engineering graduates elect to work for federal, state, city, and local agencies, like the Departments of Transportation, Energy, Environmental Protection, Sanitation, Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority, etc. In addition, the broad nature of the acquired background provides you with opportunities to start your own business or use as an entry to studies in business, management, law, and medicine. A degree in Engineering Mechanics prepares you best to work in research-oriented industries and government agencies.
The department faculty maintains close professional and personal ties to the engineering community in the Greater New York Area, which is of invaluable help to our students to find jobs or internships. In addition, all of our students are free to use the assistance of Columbia's Center for Career Education.
CCE works with Columbia Engineering undergraduate and graduate students and alumni to help them define career goals and gain meaningful work experiences through:
- LionSHARE internship/jobs database - Set up a job agent to be notified daily of engineering opportunities
- Domestic and international internship programs, including the Science Technology Engineering Program (STEP)
- Career Fairs - Engineering Consortium Career Fair/Networking Reception, Start-up Career Fair, Fall & Spring Career Fairs
- Alumni Connections and Networking Events, including Engineering Student-Alumni Speed Networking, Columbia Career Connections on LinkedIn, Employer Site Visits, and Professionals in Residence
- Individual career counseling, workshops, and online resources to help with internship/job applications, interviewing, networking, negotiations, and the decision to pursue graduate school
- Engineering industry specific resources covering career paths, employers, professional associations, internship/job sites, and research opportunities